Toward a Constructive Technology Criticism, Columbia Journalism Review
Bits of Me, Schirn Mag
Data is the New “___”, Dis Magazine
Living with Data, Al Jazeera America
Vina Date Ideas: Singapore, The VINAZINE, April 2017
WEALTH CEO Dominic Gamble on Keeping Customers Coming Back, The Working Capitol, April 2017
Helena Wasserman on Big Data, Hiring, and More, The Working Capitol, March 2017
We Need to Tell Better Stories About Our AI Future, Motherboard, February 2017
#ICYMI: Conscious Choices to Combat Climate Change, The Working Capitol, January 2017
Astrology is Fake and Oxen Might Be Rats, The Hairpin, January 2017
There is No Neutral Interface, NiemanLab, December 2016
Encounters with Other Intelligences: Reflections from Digital Asia Hub’s AI in Asia Conference, Digital Asia Hub, December 2016
Tech Criticism is Critical to Understanding Digital Asia, Digital Asia Hub, October 2016
Toward a Constructive Technology Criticism, Columbia Journalism Review, October 2016
How Virginia Heffernan is reinventing tech criticism, Columbia Journalism Review, June 2016
Bits of Me, Schirn Mag, May 2016
Living with Data Series, Gizmodo, September 2015
Styles and Customs in the 2020s, e-flux 56th Venice biennale, June 2015
Data is the New “___”, DIS Magazine, The Data Issue, February 2015
“But Ferguson was Trending in my Feed” in Youth and Online News: Reflections and Perspectives, Berkman Center, February 2015
2015: The year wearables finally become wearable, and data more meaningful, Beta Boston, December 2014
Internet Monitor 2014: Reflections on the Digital World, Berkman Center, December 2014
- Mapping the Data Ecosystem
- Dada Data and the Internet of Paternalistic Things (and translated into French and on the Radio Berkman podcast)
Living with Data Series, Al Jazeera America, September–November 2014
- ‘The issue formerly known as privacy’
- Ask the Decoder: Did I sign up for a global sleep study?
- Confusing Big Data: Dropping red herrings in the database
- Ask the Decoder: What is my Uber passenger rating?
- Why iOS QuickType won’t predict ‘abortion’
- Ask the Decoder: Why does Netflix think I have kids?
- Why pay attention to online ads?
- Ask the Decoder: How are algorithms telling our stories for us?
- You, according to your Facebook Atlas ID
- Ask the Decoder: What is Ello?
- Tools that help us see the data behind the browser
- Ask The Decoder: How private is private browsing, really?
- How to take control of your online advertising profile
- Ask The Decoder: Stalked by socks
- Introducing the Living with Data series
Stepping Down: Rethinking the Fitness Tracker The Atlantic, September 2014
Data Science: What the Facebook Controversy is Really About The Atlantic, July 2014
Data Doppelgängers and the Uncanny Valley of Personalization The Atlantic, June 2014
What’s Meaningful Transparency for Consumers? AdExchanger, June 2014
If Customers Knew How You Use Their Data, Would They Call It Creepy? Harvard Business Review, April 2014
You Are Your Data — And you should demand the right to use it Slate, November 2013
This iPhone Chip Turns Us All Into Activity Trackers — Whether We Want To or Not Wired, October 2013
Living with Data: Personal Data Uses of the Quantified Self Oxford Internet Institute Masters Thesis, OII MSc Thesis Award, August 2013
The Greatest Bond Villain of All: Technology The Atlantic, November 2012
I Didn’t Tell Facebook I’m Engaged, So Why Is It Asking About My Fiancé? The Atlantic, March 2012
Use Google? Time to Get Real About Protecting Your Digital Self The Atlantic, January 2012
Newsletter, lah! archive on Tinyletter